Skip to content ↓

    1st XI Football Pitch Reverts to its Original Name: Heath Field

    A telephone call from an Old Kimboltonian family has brought to light the history of the 1st XI football pitch – and prompted the reinstatement of its original name, the ‘Heath Field’.

    Sports Medals Won by Former Kimbolton School Pupil Neil A HeathA telephone call from an Old Kimboltonian family has brought to light the history of the 1st XI football pitch – and prompted the reinstatement of its original name, the ‘Heath Field’.

    Former pupil Neil A Heath joined the School in the Third Form in 1956. He was an excellent athlete and enjoyed all sports; at this time our pitches were located immediately behind the Prep School.

    After leaving school in 1960, Neil tragically lost his life in a car accident a few years later. Following his untimely death, his family very generously donated a sum of money to the School, which was used to purchase land from the Manchester Estate directly to the east of the Castle cricket pitch.

    The land was levelled and ever since has been home to the 1st XI football pitch in the autumn and winter, and to the rounders’ pitches and athletics track in the spring and summer. The area was originally called the ‘Heath Field’ but at some point over the years the name was lost.

    Mrs Helen Hopperton, Alumni Officer, said: “Neil’s family contacted the School last summer as his mother, now in her nineties, wished to visit the site. Unfortunately, due to the travelling distance, she has not been able to make the journey, but her grandson Mr Charlie Wall (Neil’s nephew) did visit us in October – bringing with him sports medals awarded to Neil when he was at school.”

    As the area has been nameless for some years, the welcome contact from the Heath family has prompted the School to officially reinstate the original name of the field in memory of Neil.