We offer Business to Sixth Form students as an A Level subject. Business equips students to understand the factors affecting businesses and helps them gain a head start in future careers in a range of organisations. We examine the internal structure of a range of businesses, looking at areas including marketing, finance, production and personnel. We also examine external forces that affect businesses, such as recession, and the strategies they can adopt to achieve their business goals.
At Kimbolton, we have an interactive teaching style which applies the analytical tools to both small and prominent businesses. Our weekly news sheets help us to examine both amusing and serious business events. We organise trips and encourage extra-curricular involvement in various competitions. We also have an enviable track record of success in creating real businesses via the Young Enterprise scheme.
We are proud of our recent record of 'value-added' in public examinations.
Head of Business Studies
Sixth Form – optional A Level subject
We follow the AQA Business syllabus. There is no coursework or controlled assessment. The three examinations are:
- Paper 1 - Fifteen multiple choice, short questions and two essays.
- Paper 2 - three data response questions based on real companies.
- Paper 3 - six questions based on a major case study.
Kimbolton 7th Period Super Curriculum: We will dig deeper behind current news stories, including debates and discussion. We will also practise strategic decision making and prepare for competitions such as the BASE competition. It gives us the opportunity to play some Business strategy games and hear and question local businessmen and women.
- Many of our students choose to participate in the Young Enterprise scheme. We have an excellent track record of producing successful YE companies.
Regular Trips, Visitors and Competitions
- We participate in the BASE accounting competition, reaching the finals in 2015-16 and 2014-15.
- We run trips to businesses such as Fuller's Brewery and ABB.