Joining Sixth Form (16+)
Why Kimbolton Sixth Form?
- 22 A Level subjects available. Unlike many schools, we have no restrictions as to the combination that you select
- Seminar-style teaching, more akin to university than school
- Small groups with plenty of individual attention - average this year is 6.87 students
- Full week with 6 periods per subject - more than most schools and colleges
- Plus, a 7th period per subject per week devoted to study outside the confines of the A Level syllabus, to extend academic knowledge and skills
- Games afternoon every Wednesday with 21 different sports on offer during the academic year
- Traditional team sports plus others such as fitness suite, swimming, golf, clay pigeon shooting and Pilates. Something for everyone, hopefully for life!
- Thursday afternoon extension course, with 16 options available, including Combined Cadet Force and Community Service Unit
- Optional Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)
- Huge range of clubs and activities, including Medical Society, The Manchester Group (discussion-based group to widen intellectual curiosity), Law Society, Charities Committee and Tycoon (business trading)
- Optional trips to enhance classroom learning and bring subjects to life
- Social events including parties, BBQs, quizzes, annual ball - all organised by a student committee
- A range of boarding options: full, weekly, flexi- and occasional boarding in our friendly, homely boarding houses.
Sixth Form Video Gallery
Pastoral Care and Support
Our Sixth Form is a friendly community with a positive and inclusive atmosphere; we hope you'll find it easy to make friends and settle in. Every year we welcome new students from a huge variety of state and independent schools. Everyone belongs to one of our Houses (Balyes, Dawsons, Gibbards and Owens) and is allocated to a tutor group of about 15 Sixth Formers. Your tutor is at the centre of our support system and will look after you for both years. Additional support is provided by nurses and counsellors at our on-site Health Centre. Weekly citizenship lectures help to prepare you for life beyond school, delivered by visiting speakers and staff specialists. Topics include world issues and subjects to broaden your horizons, as well as personal issues such as driver safety and maintaining good mental health.
University and Careers Advice
We encourage all of our pupils to look ahead and be in a position to make good, informed choices about their futures - whether that be higher education, employment or a gap year. We have excellent resources in our Careers Room in the Castle, which is open to pupils at all times. Take a look at our previous years' A Level Results and Leavers' Destinations.
- Everyone is allocated a university adviser
- Higher Education and Gap Year events
- University visits to eg. Birmingham and Cambridge
- Help and guidance with applications (personal statements), student finance and university life
- Help in securing employment/apprenticeships
- Membership of the Old Kimboltonians' Association (OKA), which provides an invaluable link between former students and the School
Want to Find Out More?
Come and see us!
Our October Open Morning is an opportunity to enjoy an informal tour of our facilities with one of our current Sixth Formers, and to meet some of the staff that teach your subjects of interest. If you like what you see, you can visit us again for a 'Taster Morning' in the autumn term. This is a chance to try out your new subjects, experience our style of Sixth Form teaching, chat to current Sixth Formers and meet others who are considering joining our school.
You may also like to join us with your parents for our "Entering the Sixth Form" evening in November, which is focused on A Level subject choices. Join our current Fifth Form (Year 11) pupils for short presentations by the Headmaster and Head of Sixth Form, which will outline life as a Sixth Form student at Kimbolton School. Your guide will show you around our campus, calling in to departments of interest. You'll finish in the Castle where you can find out more about trips, visits, extra-curricular activities and extension courses. There will also be plenty of time to chat to our careers staff and our senior staff about subject combinations and opportunities at Kimbolton.