The Admissions Process
Thank you for your interest in enrolling at Kimbolton (independent) School. This step-by-step guide will take you through our Admissions process for Early Years (4+) and KS1 through to Sixth Form. If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to email our Registrar, Mrs Rosie White, or call her on 01480 862209. She’ll be happy to chat through any aspect of joining our school.
Key Dates for September 2020 Entry
- Places occasionally become available. If you wish to enquire please email our Registrar.
Key Dates for September 2021 Entry
- Prep Online Open Morning (booking essential) - Saturday 10 October 2020
- Sixth Form Online Evening (booking essenial) - Thursday 15 October 2020
- Bursary application deadline (First to Fifth Forms, Years 7 to 11) – Saturday 31 October 2020
- Entering the Sixth Form Evening – Thursday 19 November 2020, 6.30pm
- Deadline to register your child for entry (Reception - Fifth Form, Year 11) – Monday 30 November 2020
- Bursary application deadline (Sixth Form, Years 12 and 13) – extended to Thursday 10th December
- Deadline to register your child for Sixth Form entry - extended to Thursday 10th December
- Entrance examination – Saturday 6 February 2021
- Offers of places - for all levels of entry, will be sent out by February half term 2021
- Deadline for acceptance of a place – Monday 1 March 2021
Key Dates for September 2022 Entry
- Prep Open Mornings - 7 May and 8 October 2021
- Senior Open Morning (booking essential) - October 2021
- Sixth Form Events - 2021
- FREE Mini Mad Science Workshops - 2021 - register your interest in this free event for pre-school children aged 2 1/2+. Come and join our Reception pupils for a hands-on journey through the world of science!
1. Explore our School
Our website can give you a taste of what life is like at Kimbolton Prep (primary) and Senior (secondary) schools, but nothing beats a visit in person. Prospective parents and pupils from Reception to Sixth Form are always welcome to take a tour and meet the Headmaster, staff and students. Our Open Mornings are a great way to see Kimbolton in action, or you can arrange a visit at a time to suit you. We would be delighted to meet you and you can be assured of a warm welcome. Kimbolton is within easy reach of Cambridge, Bedford and London, but should you wish to stay overnight, there is a wide variety of local accommodation. Please note: our Prep School (for Primary Reception, KS1 and KS2) and Senior School (Secondary Years 7-13) are at opposite ends of Kimbolton village. If you are visiting the Secondary School the postcode is PE28 0EA; for the Prep School the nearest postcode is: PE28 0JJ. In the meantime, you might like to take a virtual tour of our campus or read our most recent reviews and inspections.
2. Register for Entry
If you would like your child to be considered for entry, we first require a completed Registration Form and a non-returnable Registration Fee of £100 (£150 for non-EU nationals) to cover our administration expenses. Please ensure you have read our Notes on Registration. You may also like to look at our Admissions Policy.
3. Assistance with Fees
We offer scholarships and assistance with fees (in the form of bursaries) from age 11. We will only consider applications from parents or guardians who have already registered their child for entry and paid the registration fee (currently £100, or £150 for non-UK Nationals).
Bursary Application Deadlines:
- First to Fifth Forms (secondary school, Years 7 to 11) entry in September - end of the previous October
- Lower Sixth (secondary school, Year 12) entry in September - end of the previous November.
Applications submitted after these deadlines will be considered only if sufficient funds exist.
For further information see:
4. Entrance Assessments
4+ entry (Lower Prep – Reception, Years 1 and 2)
All candidates for entry are visited at nursery, playschool or home by a member of the Lower Prep staff, so we can get to know them in a familiar environment. We then invite children to join in with our current children’s classroom activities for a couple of days in January. These classroom visits include age-appropriate assessments.
7+ entry (Upper Prep – Years 3 to 6)
In Year 3 we add another class. Children will be invited to join us in the classroom for one day in the week commencing 27 January 2020, during which they will undertake fun activities and assessments. This is followed by the Saturday entrance examination. Testing encompasses English, Maths and Reasoning (Verbal and Non-Verbal).
11+ entry (First Form – Year 7)
Candidates are invited for interview in January prior to our entrance examination. The examination comprises papers in Mathematics, English and Verbal Reasoning.
- Entrance Examination: Notes for Guidance - English 11+, 13+
- Entrance Examination: Notes for Guidance - Maths 11+ and 13+
Entry at 13+ (Third Form – Year 9)
Entry at 13+ for candidates from preparatory schools is via Common Entrance, which is taken in May/June. All other candidates are invited for interview in January and then sit our entrance examination (Mathematics, English and Verbal Reasoning).
- Entrance Examination: Notes for Guidance - English 11+, 13+
- Entrance Examination: Notes for Guidance - Maths 11+, 13+
16+ entry (Sixth Form – Years 12 and 13)
Candidates are interviewed in the January or February prior to entry and are made an offer of a place subject to meeting our GCSE entry requirements. These are: at least 5 GCSEs at grades at 6 or above, with passes in Maths and English. Subjects to be studied at A Level should have been passed with at least a grade 6.
5. Offer and Acceptance of a Place
Offers of places for all levels of entry will be sent out by February half term. The deadline for acceptance of a place is normally the first Monday in March prior to starting in September.
A deposit is payable when you accept our offer of a place.
6. Preparation for Arrival
Following acceptance of a place, in May, you will receive a joining pack of information from our Registrar. This will include information on our uniform, bus service and optional music lessons, as well as forms to complete before the start of term. You may additionally like to explore our parents' area, which has useful day-to-day information about school life including Kim Club (our before and after school club), sports fixtures, extra-curricular activities, the Kimbolton School Parents' Association and much more.
We look forward to welcoming you to Kimbolton!